Monday, September 26, 2016

My First DNS and The Week That Was

Earlier this year I signed up for the Akron Marathon. It was to be my 6th marathon and completing all of the Akron Marathon weekend races. When I found out I was selected to be on the Rock 'n' Blog team I made the decision to skip Akron. The race would always be there, but this opportunity may not be.

To be honest, I never gave Akron much of a thought. I was upset because they got rid of the marathon finisher jackets (instead of a shirt), the medals didn't look that cool and the social media wasn't as involved as they normally are. Plus, none of my friends were running it - which always made Akron weekend so much fun.

It wasn't until I was resting my cranky foot last Tuesday that it really hit me. I was taking my first ever DNS. Since I started "adult racing" in 2012 I have never not completed a race I signed up for. Whether it be a marathon about a month removed from being in a boot or five races in seven weeks in three states, I have always made it. Not this time. It's not like I'm trained to run a marathon right now, but still. It was a weird feeling.

The only thing that did happen this week was a lot of reflecting. Akron was my goal half marathon last year. Even though the race wasn't what I thought it was going to be, I still achieved my goal of a half marathon PR. There were tons of tears shed and the hunger was still there for more. After my terrible half marathon in Philly last weekend, I realized how much I have changed in a year. I'm smarter and know when things aren't right. I know when to turn things down and when to take a step back.

All things considered, I'm glad I had this experience. I've been told it's better to DNS than DNF, which is true. I would have DNF and it would not have been pretty.

Well, now that I got that off my chest, let's talk about the week that was.

I rested for four days last week. My foot was incredibly cranky and I worked a lot. Seemed like the best time to rest. I did do a 30 minute Jillian Michaels kettle bell workout on Thursday and that was rough. I need to get better with my strength training.

Finished with a headstand and the best picture since Dangle walked through again.

I did run Friday-Saturday-Sunday. I wanted to be smart about it and make sure I took it slow.

Friday I ran two really easy miles after work. Mainly just to test the foot. Everything felt fine and I was pleased.

Saturday I tried out a new running location. I will be coaching a Couch to 5k program through the running store and I needed an easy loop for us to start on. Luckily I found a one mile loop not too far from the store and I LOVE IT! Pretty flat and shaded with a water fountain and indoor bathrooms! Score! I didn't have a lot of time but I did run four miles and they felt really good. The temps dropped a little bit which made a world of difference.

Sunday I went to the same loop to get in six miles. Again, I took this week super easy. Since The Great Race was going on downtown I knew there wouldn't be as many people out. It was 50 degrees when I started! I was so excited. I started in a long sleeve shirt! Well, the sun came out and I was hot so I changed half way through. I could not believe how great I felt. Breathing was on, no foot pain and I was super relaxed. It was exactly what I needed.

Weekly Total: 12 miles
September Total: 59 miles

I have three weeks until my next half. The plan for the next two weeks is a long run of eight and 10 miles. Nothing crazy, just building myself back up. I hope to run three to four days a week or as many as my foot allows. Still no speed work and I want to try to be as consistent with my speed as possible. This week my runs averaged 9:11, 9:06, 9:11 and I think that's about perfect for right now.

So here's to the next few weeks before a new adventure. I have never been to St. Louis before so if you have any tips please let me know!


  1. Prayers for fast and complete healing before your upcoming race! St. Louis is beautiful, I've only been twice but think you will love it. Like you I have also learned to listen to my body SO MUCH MORE in the passt year or so, like this morning I was supposed to do a workout before teaching - nope, I am pooped and weak from a stomach bug last night so I'm drinking coffee and writing!

    1. That sounds like a wonderful compromise Sarah! Thank you so much for the thoughts!

  2. Ohh I should have Dan sign up for that C25K with you! Maybe if you're coaching him he'll actually listen ;) I can't believe that was your first ever DNS..I had like 3 this year alone lol!

    1. Never! I have never had a DNS or a DNF before. I would love to kick Dan's butt. Just send him to me =)

  3. Good luck with the rest of your training! I hope your foot stays pain free!

  4. It sounds like you made the right choice! Hopefully your foot heals up quickly.